international student application
The process used to evaluate international applicants is similar to that used to evaluate the rest of our applicant pool. There are, however, a few pieces that require special attention or additional forms from international applicants.
Please note the admission deadlines and observe them carefully. Transcripts, Secondary School Reports, and recommendations must be submitted directly by your school. They will not be accepted from a student or family member. All submitted materials must be in the English language.
You should submit your completed application as early as possible to allow enough time to obtain a U.S. Visa. You are welcome to send application materials via postal or courier service; however, it is strongly recommended that you submit online.
Below are the main components of a completed international student application. Click here to download a checklist of application requirements.
All first-year applicants use the same freshman application forms.
2. Secondary School Transcripts
Tulane requires a certified copy of your secondary school academic record. Grades for at least three full years of secondary education are required; exiting exams alone are not sufficient. Tulane is familiar with the grading systems of most nations. If you have any questions or concerns about your grading system, please contact your admission counselor. This component must be submitted directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admission by a school official.
3. Demonstrated English Proficiency
The admission committee weighs many factors during the course of the application process, including rigor of high school curriculum, classroom performance, quality of recommendations and statements, extracurricular and community involvement, and life experiences. In order to provide a more holistic review process for international students, Tulane will consider several different standardized tests.
- You must submit scores from at least one of the following:
- TOEFL or IELTS are required if English is not your native language.
- Tulane looks for a minimum of 100 on the TOEFL and 6.5 on the IELTS.
- Tulane's code for both tests is 6832.
- If you achieve a 600+ on the SAT Verbal section or a 27+ on the ACT English section, we will waive TOEFL or IELTS.
- While SAT or ACT are not required for non-US citizens, scores will be considered should you submit them.
- The middle 50% of admitted students achieve 1950-2140 on the SAT or 29-32 on the ACT.
- Tulane's SAT code is 6832. Tulane's ACT code is 1614.
- It is recommended that you submit SAT or ACT scores if you wish to be considered for merit aid. Admission and merit aid at Tulane are highly competitive.
- You must submit SAT or ACT scores in order to be considered for the Dean's Honor Scholarship, Paul Tulane Award, or Global Scholarship.
4. Secondary School Report
All first-year applicants must submit a secondary school report and/or an official letter of recommendation from their guidance counselor or head of class. This component must be submitted directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admission by a school official.
5. Certification of Finances
International students must complete the Certification of Finances Form in order to complete their application for admission. We will not accept bank documents without this form. Tulane University offers limited need-based financial assistance to international students whom we determine to have financial need. To determine whether you qualify for aid, submit the CSS Profile by 15 February.
6. Optional Interview
Tulane does not require interviews for international applicants; however, if you would like to request an optional informational interview with your admission representative, we will gladly accommodate you at any point during the admission cycle via Skype. Simply e-mail your admission counselor to set one up. Non-native English speakers are also welcome to participate in third-party unscripted interviews using a service of your choice.
For international applicants from greater China (including Hong Kong and Taiwan) and South Korea, applicants may participate in an interview conducted by InitialView as part of their application. InitialView will conduct and record an interview with you and provide it directly to us for our review.
See New Orleans.
Did You Know?
Tulane is located directly across the street from Audubon Park and the world-famous Audubon Zoo.