Guide for Admitted Transfer Students

Explore Opportunities at Tulane and Enroll

As an admitted student, you can use your Green Wave Portal to register for admission events in the spring, submit an enrollment deposit, and submit a deposit for on-campus housing consideration. You can also get perspectives of current transfer students at Tulane on why they made their switch by visiting our Transfer Ambassadors page.

On-campus housing is available to transfer students for the 2024-2025 term.

All enrollment deposits are non-refundable and must be paid online via your Green Wave Portal by December 1st for the Spring term, and by June 15th for the Fall term. For off-campus housing resources, please visit the Off Campus Housing Guide put together by Housing and Residential Life staff. We also invite you to watch this Off-Campus Living 101 webinar; with a supplemental resource guide PDF.

Complete Financial Aid Applications

In order to be considered for need-based aid, be sure to submit your FAFSA and CSS Profile by May 15 (November 1 for the spring semester).

Enrollment & Housing Deposit
Entering Fall: June 15
Entering Spring: December 1

FAFSA & CSS Profile
Entering Fall: May 15
Entering Spring: November 1

Consult your Academic Advisor and Register for Classes

All enrolling transfer students work with a designated academic advisor in College Advising to register for your first semester at Tulane and to understand how previous college credits may impact your schedule choices.

Registration is a simple, online process. Registration begins in April for the fall term and in November for the spring term. To prepare for registration, be sure to get all of your transfer credit evaluated, review our schedule of classes and academic program catalog to identify your interests and define your direction. The College Advising website also provides registration resources, transfer student support, and major exploration links. Shortly after we receive your enrollment deposit, College Advising’s transfer advisor, Yasmin Guendouzi, will email you with key registration and advising appointment information.

Learn About Your School and Major

All full-time students are enrolled in Newcomb-Tulane Undergraduate College. Students are additionally enrolled in the school housing the major designated on your application. If you did not indicate a major, you will be an “undecided” student in Newcomb-Tulane College. The major that you indicate on your application is not binding so take time to explore your interests. Once you are decided, you will need to officially declare when you arrive on campus. Undergraduate degrees may be earned in the following schools: the School of Architecture, the A.B. Freeman School of Business, the School of Liberal Arts, the School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, and the School of Science and Engineering. Learn about our 75+ majors and minors.

Becoming a Tulane Student

As you prepare for your arrival at Tulane, you will want to refer to our Transfer Student Checklist to ensure you have prepared all the correct paperwork and requirements before starting as a student. This timeline is for the Fall semester, when most of our transfer students enroll.

Once you arrive to campus, Tulane hosts a special transfer orientation for both Fall and Spring. We understand that you already have an idea of how a university works, but we want to provide specific Tulane resources for our transfer students. In the Fall, incoming transfer students will also be placed in small groups with a upper-class transfer student leader to assist with their transition to Tulane. The groups meet over the course of the Fall semester and help connect transfer students in the Tulane community. More details can be found at the Tulane Orientation Website.

Enrollment Deferral Information for Transfer Students

An enrollment deferral gives students the opportunity to work, take time to care for family, or participate in an activity or experience designed to provide outside of the classroom enrichment.

  • The Office of Undergraduate Admission reviews gap year requests on an individual basis and approves a limited number each year.
  • Because deferrals are meant to be enrichment opportunities or personal time, we ask that you do not attend another university or participate in a program that awards college credit during your period of deferral.
  • If you obtain credit from another university or a college credit-granting program during your deferral period, and would like the credits to be considered for transfer to Tulane, you will need to reapply for admission.
  • The transfer student deadline to request a deferral to a future term is July 1st.
  • If your deferral request is approved, you are committed to attending Tulane after your deferral period, and cannot apply for admission to any other school. While you do not have to reapply for admission to Tulane, you will have to submit an updated FAFSA and CSS Profile to be considered for federal and institutional need-based financial aid if your new enrollment term is in a different school year from your original term of admission. If you were offered a merit scholarship, you will be offered the same merit award following the deferral period provided that you remain in good academic and disciplinary standing with the university during your deferral period.
  • Deferrals can be requested only once; requests for a second deferral will require re-application for transfer admission.
  • To start the deferral application process, first submit your $1000 (if you would like to be considered for on-campus housing) or $750 enrollment deposit (if you prefer to live off-campus) by June 15th. Next, email Kaycee Filson to request access to the “Request to Defer Enrollment to a Future Term” form.

Contact Schools and Centers

We understand that you may still have some questions, and we are here to help.

College Advising

School of Architecture

School of Liberal Arts

School of Public Health

School of Science & Engineering

A.B. Freeman School of Business

University Registrar

Financial Aid

Dining Services

Housing and Residential Life

Student Health Center

Student Affairs

Technology Services